The Ash Grove Cement Company started
in 1882 in Ash Grove, Missouri, under the name Ash
Grove White Lime Association. The lime that was produced
there was used for construction and sanitary purposes.
In 1908 Ash Grove opened its first cement plant in
Chanute, Kansas. A year later, Lester T. Sunderland
joined the company, starting a dynamic family tradition
of commitment, dependability, and customer service
that is still evident to the present day.
Today Ash Grove is the largest
American-owned producer of cement and the sixth largest producer
of cement in the United States. The Company has continued to grow throughout the years and now consists
of eight cement plants and two deep water import terminals.
In addition, Ash Grove
has subsidiaries consisting of ready-mix companies,
aggregate companies, packaged materials companies,
and a paving company.